Book a Property Valuation

Planning minister Nick Boles has issued a written statement confirming new permitted development rights will allow the conversion of ‘redundant or under-used’ agricultural buildings to residential dwellings which is great news for rural areas.

 Owners will now be able to apply to their local planning authority to determine if prior approval is required, instead of pursuing a lengthy planning process.

Barns up to 450 square metres will now be allowed to convert into three homes (maximum), subject to an approval process previously undertaken.

The new rules do not apply in national parks or areas of outstanding local beauty, but for the majority owning redundant or under-used agricultural buildings the changes bring real benefits.

Prior to the development, the application process involving the local authority will cover issues such as flood risk, impact on transport infrastructure and noise, however, the new permitted development rights should provide a well-deserved boost to rural areas when they come into effect.

Please contact Joplings if you have a barn or redundant/under-used agricultural building to determine the possibilities of converting this to a home.

Tel: 01765 694804 


Please call in to discuss your requirements - our friendly staff are always happy to help

10 North Street, Ripon North Yorkshire, HG4 1JY Telephone: 01765 694800 Fax: 01765 694801
19 Market Place, Thirsk North Yorkshire YO7 1HD Telephone: 01845 522680 Fax: 01845 526055