Book a Property Valuation

Introduction Only

Joplings will prepare particulars of the property and distribute to our mailing list, Prepare and arrange advertising in the local paper and internet, Arrange viewings for prospective Tenants, Take up references on all prospective Tenants using an independent referencing company, Inform the Landlord of current safety regulations relating to letting residential property, Prepare the Tenancy Agreements, Collect the first month’s rent and deposit & Carry out an Inventory (If Joplings Tenancy Deposit Scheme is used) and Inform utility suppliers at the beginning of the tenancy.

Full Management

In addition to the introduction services listed above Joplings will also Carry out a full Inventory, Collect the rent on a monthly basis, Provide a monthly statement to the Landlord, Inform utility suppliers at the beginning and end of each Tenancy, Arrange for property maintenance and repairs to be carried out on the Landlord’s behalf, Carry out property visits and report to the Landlord, Inspect the Property at the end of the Tenancy, deal with any work which is necessary and for overseas landlords tax returns and account support.

Premium Service

Premium property requires a commitment from the landlord to start the tenancy at a higher level.  Prior to the first tenancy going ahead we would require the following carrying out:
– Professional Cleaners
– Oven Cleaning *
– Carpet Cleaning *
*Discounts available
Benefits for the Tenant and the Landlord:

  • Tenant can move into the property, safe in the knowledge that it will be cleaned and inspected to the highest level.
  • Landlords are assured their property is maintained to a high standard, before and after a tenancy term.
  • The value of the property is maximised
  • The property can be marketed at a higher level through providing this service, ensuring a quick turnaround of tenancies.

Landlord’s Choice

Our most recent service offering which has been designed to provide landlords with the flexibility to choose which services they need from the following list to create a tailor made service:

  • Tenancy Agreements
  • Energy Performance Certificate
  • Inventory & The Dispute Service
  • Advertising Only
  • Referencing Only
  • Gas or Electrical Checks
  • Property Inspection
  • Accompanied viewings
  • Breach of agreement letters
  • Serving notices


Arrangements will be made to collect a deposit from the prospective Tenant at the start of the tenancy to cover any dilapidations and damage to the Property. This will usually be equivalent to one month’s rent and in some cases one and half months rent. Under the Full Management service Joplings will hold the deposit on behalf of all parties as Stakeholder and enter the deposit into the tenancy deposit scheme. For further information regarding the tenancy deposit scheme click the following link  Under the Introduction Only service the deposit can be paid over to the Landlord to hold in their chosen scheme but proof of registration with a scheme must be shown.


The better your property is presented in terms of décor, the quicker it will let and the higher the rental price achieved. In the current competitive market there is much to choose from and a property in a poor state will be low on any prospective tenant’s list. Joplings dedicated lettings department advertise in the local press in addition to the internet, which is playing a larger part in attracting quality tenants, particularly if moving from outside the area. Not only do we have our own website but we promote our property through some of the largest internet portals in the UK,,,, and


Joplings use a private company to conduct our referencing. The referencing looks back over the tenant’s history for the past 3 years on financial, employment, previous properties either in rented or homeowners and credit history.

Overseas Landlords

If you are going to reside outside the UK Joplings are legally bound by the Taxes Management Act 1970 to deduct tax from your rental income at the basic rate and pay these monies to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis. Landlords who reside overseas may apply to the Inland Revenue for approval to receive their income without deduction of tax. For more information go to Joplings are not tax advisors therefore we recommend you seek independent advice if you are thinking of moving abroad.

Mortgaged Properties

You must have consent from your lender to rent out your property and they will request that you change your mortgage to a buy to let.


It is a legal responsibility to have the building insured. Whilst contents insurance is not legally required, we recommend it along with liability insurance cover.

Leasehold Properties

If the property is leasehold ensure that the Head Lease allows you to sub-let, and gain consent from the freeholder or managing agent if necessary. In addition, check for any covenants in the Head Lease which the Tenants must adhere to.

Transfer of Utilities

Gas, Electricity, Water Charges and Council Tax are normally the responsibility of the Tenant. We will arrange for meters to be read and the relevant utility companies to be informed.


It is a legal requirement to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your property. The EPC is valid for 10 years. The purpose of the certificate is to show the tenant how energy efficient the property is prior to moving in. A property can not be marketed without an EPC


Please call in to discuss your requirements - our friendly staff are always happy to help

10 North Street, Ripon North Yorkshire, HG4 1JY Telephone: 01765 694800 Fax: 01765 694801
19 Market Place, Thirsk North Yorkshire YO7 1HD Telephone: 01845 522680 Fax: 01845 526055